How to roll back the Windows 10 system
- Return Windows 10 to its initial state
- Method 1: Change Parameters
- Method 2: Through the boot menu
- Return to an earlier version of the system
- Method 1: When it is not possible to start the system
- Method 2: Using Windows
Quite often, PC users are faced with a situation where the OS installed on their computer stops working normally. This can be caused by damage to system files or a large number of virus software. Naturally, you can always reinstall the system, but this is an extreme method, since it is enough just to return the current OS to its normal state. How to perform this procedure and will be described in this article.
How to roll back a Windows 8 system
How to roll back the system through the BIOS
How to roll back the system with Windows 10
Return Windows 10 to its initial state
In this section, methods for restoring the OS without rolling back to a previously created control point will be described. Due to this technique, many users who have not bothered to create a backup point or image in advance, do not have to demolish the existing system.
Method 1: Change Parameters
Using this method is most relevant when the computer can be booted in standard mode, and you can go to the "Settings" tab.
- Go to the "Start" menu and find the section "Settings . " Usually it is a gear image, located to the left of all text items.
- In the window that opens, locate the “Update and Security” block.
- After moving to the next tab, click on the words "Recovery" . It is in the list, almost immediately under the search string.
- In the right block of the main window, click on the “Start” button. Usually it can be found under the heading "Return the computer to its original state . "
- You will be asked to make a copy of all available information. Depending on your needs, click on "Save my files" or "Delete all . "
- The system analysis will automatically start, at the end of which a list of all components will be displayed, namely they will be subject to removal. If you wish, you can view the list, after which you will need to click on the "Next" button.
- The next window will contain a warning about all possible consequences of starting the recovery procedure. Click on the label "Reset" .
- Wait for the preparation process to return the system to its original state. This can take quite a long time, which depends on the workload of the PC information.
- When the download is complete, the computer will restart and a scale will appear on its screen, indicating the recovery process.
- Now you need to reinstall the driver packages necessary for the correct operation of the system. This is done automatically. Do not be alarmed if your computer will reboot at the same time repeatedly.
- After the download is complete, a login window appears. Having started the PC, you will see on the desktop the information saved in advance, as well as a file containing a list of all uninstalled components.
Do not forget to install the necessary drivers that are required for work. Despite the fact that all the basic information is loaded automatically when the system is restored, some related components will need to be downloaded by yourself.
Method 2: Through the boot menu
The above menu will automatically appear after repeated unsuccessful attempts to boot the system. This is quite convenient when it is not possible to boot the computer correctly. You can also invoke the necessary menu yourself after launching the OS.
- Go to the Start menu and click on the PC shutdown icon.
- Hold and hold the Shift key while clicking on the item "Restart" .
- You will see a window containing three different blocks. Select the “Troubleshooting” section .
- In the next tab, click on the item "Return the computer to its original state . "
- In the same way as in the previous described method, you will be offered the choice of whether to save information available on the PC or not.
- Your computer will automatically restart, after which you will need to select an account in the displayed list. A security password is also entered here, if one was set at login. Click on the "Continue" button.
- In the next window select the item “Return to the original state” , after which the recovery procedure will start.
- All actions that will take place in the future are no different from the previous method considered.
Return to an earlier version of the system
Sometimes updates issued by a manufacturer may cause system malfunctions. In this case, simply return the OS to the previous build. Let's look at this process in more detail.
Method 1: When it is not possible to start the system
When the computer does not start in normal mode, you need to connect a disk or flash drive with the Windows 10 operating system created on it, after which you should perform the following steps:
- Start the computer and click the special key to go to the “Boot Menu” . This function button differs depending on the computer model and motherboard. This is usually one of the F-keys, for example, F2.
- In the window that opens, locate the connected device and press Enter . Navigation through the menu is done using the arrows on the keyboard.
- You will see the system installation screen. Specify the desired language and click "Next . "
- In the lower left corner of the next window, find the words "System Restore" .
- Click on the “Troubleshooting” block.
- The “Advanced Settings” window will open, in which you need to select the “Return to previous build” option.
- Specify the system for which you are going to roll back.
- An alert appears warning you that all software changes will be lost during the restore process. Click "Roll back to the previous build . "
Wait until recovery is complete. Using this method, all personal information available on a computer is saved, so you do not need to create a backup copy on a third-party media in advance.
Method 2: Using Windows
If you have the ability to start the computer in normal mode, then the system recovery procedure will be much easier, and most importantly, you will not need to connect additional storage media to the PC.
- Do the first three points that were described in method number 2.
- Going to the window "Diagnostics" click on the block "Advanced options" .
- In the proposed list, find the section "Back to the previous build . "
- After the PC automatically restarts, select the account and enter the password, if available on the computer.
- Click on the "Continue" button.
- In the next window containing a warning about deleting all program changes on the PC, click on the caption “Roll back to the previous build” .
- Wait until recovery is complete.
Using the methods described in this article, you can return the system to a working state. As you can see, it’s not necessary to completely demolish the OS. If, nevertheless, the listed methods could not help you, then you should think about installing a new Windows on your computer.